For most of you, it’s starting to feel like spring. Unfortunately for those of us who live near the North Pole, it’s still quite chilly. But tell that to my son who now sees 30 degrees as adequate weather for wearing shorts. Crazy Minnesota people!
Anywhoo…to make it feel like spring I’m sharing one of my all time favorite cookie recipes from Two Peas and Their Pod. I didn’t think I could ever replace the beloved Chocolate Chip cookie as my favorite cookie, but after this, I have changed my mind. It ranks right up there with my chocolate. These are sooooo good, it will be hard to have leftovers! Enjoy a little spring in your kitchen!
Glazed Lemon Cookies
(courtesy of Two Peas and Their Pod)
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons lemon zest
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
4-5 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 35o degrees F. Line two baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl. Whisk and set aside.
3. In a small bowl, add granulated sugar and lemon zest. Rub the sugar and lemon zest together with your fingers, until fragrant.
4. Beat butter and sugar/lemon mixture together until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth.
5. Slowly beat in flour mixture on low speed until blended. Drop dough by tablespoon onto prepared baking sheets, spacing 2 inches apart. Gently flatten dough with the palm of your hand.
6. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until cookies are just set and slightly golden brown. Cool cookies on baking sheet for 2 minutes and transfer to cooking racks. Cool completely.
7. In a medium bowl, whisk together powdered sugar and lemon juice. Dip each cookie top into the lemon glaze. Let cookies sit until icing has set.
Makes about 3 dozen cookies
Happy Spring folks!